Featured Destination

Spoleto,
Heart of Umbria

Perched on a hillside in the green heart of Umbria, Spoleto is one of Italy's most beautifully preserved medieval cities. Its Roman theatre, Romanesque cathedral, and the soaring Rocca Albornoziana have anchored a crossroads of civilization for over 2,500 years.

Home to the legendary Festival of Two Worlds and surrounded by ancient forests, aqueducts, and trails — Spoleto rewards those who arrive slowly, on foot or by bicycle.

2,500+
Years of History
407m
Altitude
1958
Festival Founded
150+
Marked Trails

For six hundred years, this town governed central Italy

That is not a tourist-board flourish. Around 570 a Lombard commander named Faroald took Spoleto and made it the seat of a duchy that would run Umbria, Lazio, the Marche and the Abruzzi — thirty-six administrative districts, and control of the Via Flaminia, the road between Rome and Ravenna. When royal authority at Pavia collapsed in the 570s, the dukes of Spoleto governed as they pleased.

Two of them, Guy in 891 and Lambert in 892, were crowned Holy Roman Emperor and King of Italy. A province does not supply emperors. The duchy was absorbed into the Papal States in the early thirteenth century — sources place the decisive moment variously at Otto IV's transfer of imperial rights in 1201, the installation of a papal governor around 1213, or the pontificate of Gregory IX.

Hannibal was here, and the gate is lying to you

Livy records that in 217 BC, fresh from annihilating a Roman army at Lake Trasimene, Hannibal marched on Spoletium, devastated the countryside, assaulted the walls — and was beaten off. That much is genuinely attested by an ancient source.

The gate now called Porta Fuga commemorates it, with an inscription about Hannibal being repelled “with great slaughter of his men.” That part is later tradition. The present gate is twelfth-century, and earlier records call it porta furia or porta fuja — names that make the flight-of-Hannibal reading look like a humanist reinterpretation of something that already existed. Spoletium became a Latin colony in 241 BC, and the walls still show all three phases: polygonal blocks laid without mortar, Roman rectangular courses, and medieval work from 1297.

The Rocca, and 165 years as a prison

Cardinal Gil Albornoz built the Rocca Albornoziana in the early 1360s — sources give 1359, 1362 or 1363 — to reassert Church authority before the papacy returned from Avignon. The architect was Matteo di Giovannello, called Gattapone. Six square towers, a rectangle 130 by 33 metres, two courtyards: one for the garrison, one for the governors.

In 1499 Pope Alexander VI installed his nineteen-year-old daughter there as Governor of Spoleto — a post normally reserved for cardinals, and the first time a woman governed territory in the Papal States. Lucrezia Borgia held it until 1502.

Then the strange part. In 1816 the papal government turned the fortress into a prison, and it stayed one — over 500 inmates, with its own chapel, workshops and infirmary — until 1982. It now houses the Museo Nazionale del Ducato di Spoleto: fifteen rooms built around grave goods from the Nocera Umbra necropolis, one of the most significant Lombard cemeteries in Italy. Ask for the Camera Pinta, an early-fifteenth-century cycle of secular frescoes — courtly love and hunting rather than saints. Almost nobody writes about it.

The bridge nobody can date

The Ponte delle Torri runs roughly 230 metres across the Tessino gorge on nine piers, about 80 metres above the valley floor. Goethe admired it in Italienische Reise, praising arches that had stood so long they had become “a second nature.”

No document records its construction. A Roman aqueduct certainly crossed here — excavations in 1823 and 1893 found substantial travertine structures, and the bases of two central piers show classical technique that may be reused Roman work. But the visible bridge, with its ogival arches, is late medieval, probably built after Albornoz arrived in the 1360s. Two of the piers are hollow towers with doors and windows, used as guard posts; one later served as a customs checkpoint.

It is open. It reopened on 7 December 2024 after more than eight years closed following the 2016 earthquake, and since 18 April 2025 it has been open around the clock, with structural monitoring by the University of Perugia. Most travel writing online still says it is shut. Check locally before you travel, but do not believe the stale pages.

The Duomo, and a body Florence never got back

Santa Maria Assunta was consecrated in 1198 by Innocent III, rebuilt after Frederick Barbarossa sacked the town in 1155. Barbarossa sent a Byzantine icon in 1185 by way of apology. The façade mosaic is signed by Solsternus and dated 1207; the Renaissance portico was added in 1491.

Filippo Lippi frescoed the apse between 1467 and 1469 — the Coronation, the Dormition, the Annunciation and the Nativity — and died in Spoleto before finishing. Fra' Diamante completed it in 1470. Then Lorenzo de' Medici asked for the body back, and Spoleto refused. Lorenzo settled for commissioning the tomb instead, around 1488, designed by the painter's son Filippino. The epitaph, by Poliziano, is written in Lippi's own voice.

In the Chapel of the Relics the cathedral keeps an autograph letter of St Francis of Assisi to Brother Leo, dated 1222. Very few survive anywhere.

The Festival

Gian Carlo Menotti chose Spoleto in 1956 because it was, in his words, a quiet town that already had a theatrical tradition. The first Festival dei Due Mondi opened on 5 June 1958 with Visconti directing Verdi's Macbeth. The two worlds were American and European; a sister festival followed in Charleston in 1977.

It runs from late June into early July. A recent edition issued around 35,000 tickets to visitors from 44 countries. Pina Bausch, Jerome Robbins, Ronconi, Polanski and Robert Wilson have all worked here. In 2026 the Basilica di San Salvatore — a UNESCO site, and one of the oldest churches in Italy, though scholars still argue whether it is late-Roman or eighth-century Lombard — reopened after roughly a decade closed.

Getting there

Spoleto sits on the Rome–Ancona line, with around twenty-three direct trains a day from Roma Termini and a journey of about an hour and a half — the fastest Frecciargento does it in 1h28.

The historic centre is high, and the town solved that properly. Three systems of escalators and underground moving walkways run up from the car parks — the Spoletosfera, the Posterna (a tunnel of over 600 metres at some 25 metres depth), and the Ponzianina — plus a fourth route with three lifts to Piazza Duomo and the Rocca. They are free. You pay only for parking, around €1.80 for the first hour and €14 a day maximum. Do not walk up dragging luggage.

Outside the station stands Teodelapio, Alexander Calder's 1962 stabile — the only monumental Calder in Italy. He named it after a Lombard duke of Spoleto, having found prints of the Lombard rulers in his hotel and decided the man in the distinctive crown had the right name for the object.